Chatsworth House requires constant care and attention, and the review of the building's structure and services in 2004 showed that major renewal work was needed to secure Chatsworth for future generations of visitors to enjoy. The £32.7 million Masterplan began in 2005 and is one of the largest projects undertaken at Chatsworth since the 6th Duke of Devonshire built the north wing between 1820 and 1828. This project was made possible in part by visitor admission revenue and the Friends of Chatsworth programme through the Chatsworth House Trust.
This programme of essential restoration has conserved the stonework of the façades of the Baroque house built by the 4th Earl (later 1st Duke of Devonshire), as well as the 6th Duke's north wing, where irreparable stone was removed and replaced. The four faces of the inner court have also been conserved, including the monumental carved stone trophies. Practically every roof had work done, including replacement lead coverings, installation of hundreds of roof vents, thermal insulation, joinery repairs and rebuilt chimney stacks. New galleries and a major re-display of the Devonshire Collection, together with the installation of a new lift, have improved and significantly extended the visitor route. Many works of art from the collection have also been conserved as part of this project. For the first time in over 100 years, Old Master drawings are now able to be exhibited in the Old Master Drawings Cabinet.
The Masterplan is scheduled for completion in summer 2018. The work to be completed includes pointing on the lower levels of the 6th Duke's north wing as well as continued roof work.
Title: 'The Masterplan'
Location: Chatsworth House, Peak District