The famous Herkenrode Glass dating back to the 16th Century, is considered to be one of Europe’s greatest artistic treasures. It was originally designed for an abbey in Herkenrode in modern day Belgium and was installed in Lichfield Cathedral in 1803 when it was rescued from destruction during the Napoleonic Wars.
Having withstood centuries of weather and pollution, emergency action was needed to rescue it once again and the race began to save the Lady Chapel and its priceless Renaissance glass. The glass was removed in 2010 and taken to Barley Studio where the five year renovation project commenced.
In March 2015, the Cathedral welcomed HRH the Duke of Gloucester to a rededication event to mark the successful completion of the restoration project.
Location: Lichfield Cathedral, Lichfield
Photographer: Oct 2018