The Magpie Mine, just South of Sheldon, was one of the most famous lead mines in the Peak District and is the only one with a significant part of its building still standing. The mine is first recorded in 1795, though the workings are probably much older.
Lead mining was a speculative business with big profits to be made and sometimes huge losses at others, so the mine changed hands frequently. Though the mine was very profitable in the early 1840s, it closed from 1846 to 1868. When it was re-opened, a large Cornish pumping engine was installed in the engine house which is now the major building on the site. It finally ceased operations in 1958 and was taken into the care of the Peak District Mines Historical Society in 1962.
Location: Magpie Mine, Sheldon
Photographer: May 2017